Media Center

Settlement of Lawsuit Against Former Management of Green Acres and Bader's Villa Estates Mobile Home Parks Results in Wells Being Replaced and Former Owners Paying $55,000 in Forfeitures, Costs and Fees


MADISON — On January 26, 2012, the Juneau County Circuit Court approved a settlement agreement between the State of Wisconsin and Clifford Bader Sr., Clifford Bader, Jr., Debbie Litty and the Virginia Bader Revocable Trust. The settlement provided that Clifford Bader Sr. and his wife's revocable trust would pay $40,000 in forfeitures and costs to the Court, and that they would pay $15,000 toward the State's investigation and prosecution costs.


The civil complaint filed against the defendants at the request of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) alleged that the water supply systems serving the Bader's Villa Estates and Green Acres Mobile Home Parks had consistently and repeatedly demonstrated unsafe levels of bacteria and/or nitrate. The complaint alleged that required samples were missed, that public notices alerting residents that their water was unsafe were not posted, and that bottled water was not consistently provided to the residents as required by law. The violations continued for several years while the owners and operators of the parks asserted that they would soon connect Bader's Estates to New Lisbon public water and that they would drill a second well for Green Acres.


After the complaint was filed, the mobile home parks were purchased by new management which connected Bader's Estates to city water, and which has committed to replacing the GreenAcres well in 2012.


"The public is entitled to a safe drinking water supply, and people are entitled to prompt notice when there is a problem with their water," Attorney General Van Hollen said. "The Department of Justice will continue to work with the DNR to ensure that people who provide water to the public comply with the law and are held accountable when they fail to comply."


Assistant Attorney General Diane Milligan represented the State.


Copies of the Complaint, Stipulation and Order, and the Judgment are available at the following links: