Contact the Attorney General’s Office

Please provide the correct answer

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I contact the Department of Justice?


U.S. Mail:

Wisconsin Department of Justice

P.O. Box 7857

Madison, WI 53707-7857


Phone: (608) 266-1221

Fax:     (608) 267-2779


For concerns regarding this website only please email the webmaster.


Can I get financial assistance for expenses due to a crime committed against me?

Yes. There is a Crime Victim Compensation Program available to pay for eligible expenses. For more information, call toll-free (800) 446-6564.


How can I get an application for Crime Victim Compensation?

Download an application, or contact the Office of Crime Victim Services toll-free (800) 446-6564 to request an application by mail.


I hear a lot about defendants' rights, do victims have rights?

Yes. In Wisconsin, victims and witnesses have numerous rights defined in Chapter 950 of the Wisconsin Statutes. If you have questions or need assistance exercising your victim/witness rights, email the Wisconsin Victim Resource Center or call toll-free (800) 446-6564.


How do I file an election-related complaint?

Report irregularities you witnessed at, or around, the polling place to the Government Accountability Board


How do I file a consumer complaint?

Most consumer complaints in Wisconsin are handled by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP).  You can fill out a Consumer Protection Complaint form online or call the Consumer Protection Hotline at (800) 422-7128.


If your complaint involves a loan or other credit-related matter, or a debt collection issue, you should file a complaint with the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI).  Information on how to file a complaint with DFI can be found at this link:


How do I file a public records request with the Wisconsin Department of Justice?

For the records of the Department of Justice, send your request in letter form to the attention of Kevin C. Potter, Office of the Attorney General, Wisconsin Department of Justice, 17 W. Main St., P.O. Box 7857, Madison, WI 53707-7857. No special form is needed to submit your request. The response time will vary depending on the type of documents you seek, whether it is related to a criminal activity and whether or not the case is closed. We respond to all requests as soon as practicable and without delay. 


Information on charges to obtain records can be found on the Public Records Notice.


I believe I am a victim of identity theft, what should I do?

The state provides information and assistance to identity theft victims through the Office of Privacy Protection at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. You can find helpful information about identity theft, and file a complaint with that agency at this link:


DATCP Office of Privacy Protection -- File a Complaint


Who is entitled to request a formal Attorney General opinion?

The Governor, Legislature, state officers and agencies, offices of county corporation counsel and district attorneys may request a formal opinion.


Who is not entitled to request a formal Attorney General opinion?

Private citizens; city, village, town or other municipal attorneys; and state agency employees are not entitled to request a formal Attorney General opinion.


What questions are appropriate for an Attorney General opinion?

The most appropriate use for an Attorney General opinion is to clarify the interpretation of statutes whose meaning is in dispute or doubt, or which appear to be inconsistent with other state laws.


How is an Attorney General opinion requested?

An authorized person submits a written request to the Attorney General that includes:


  • Each question upon which an opinion is desired;
  • All of the facts giving rise to each question presented;
  • A tentative conclusion upon any question presented and the reasoning upon which that conclusion is based;
  • An analysis of all relevant statutory provisions, case law and other authorities, whether or not they support the tentative conclusion concerning the question presented.


Please see 77 Op. Attorney Gen. Preface (1988) for a more detailed explanation of the criteria for requesting a formal opinion. An opinion request which does not comply with these criteria may be returned to the requester with instructions to re-submit the request in an appropriate form.


What questions are not appropriate for an Attorney General opinion?


  • Questions seeking to resolve issues of fact, since the Attorney General has no authority to decide questions of fact
  • Questions relating to issues of current or reasonably imminent litigation
  • Questions involving the exercise of legislative or executive judgment or the exercise of discretion by public officers
  • Questions seeking interpretation of purely federal or purely local laws
  • Questions unrelated to the duties and responsibilities of the officer making the request, or questions asked on behalf of persons not entitled to request an Attorney General’s opinion
  • Questions relating to disputes between private persons


How do I file a complaint against a judge, an attorney or a law enforcement officer?

Please see the What Can We Help You Find? page.