Concealed Weapon License Application
How To Apply For A Wisconsin Concealed Carry Weapon License
A Complete CCW Application must include:
- A completed application form (pages 2-4)
- Three (3) original signatures, one on each page of the application, no photo copies.
- A check or money order made out to the Wisconsin Department of Justice in the amount of $40.
- A copy of your proof of training document.
After you complete the application you can mail it to:
Wisconsin Department of Justice
Attn: Firearms Unit
PO Box 7130
Madison, WI, 53707-7130
If you do not have online access, you may request an application by calling (608) 261-8647 or (608) 261-7998.
Please ensure that you have notified the Department of Transportation (DOT) of any address change as required by law. The current residential address that you list on your concealed carry application MUST be the same as the one registered with DOT or your application will be denied. You can make address changes with DOT online at: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/drivers/address-change.htm
Certification of Former Federal Officers
If you are a Former Federal Officer you may apply for a standard CCW permit or go through the following process to become certified to carry concealed.
- HR218/LEOSA Certification Process
- Former Federal Officer Certification Form
- Former Federal Officer Affirmation Form
What to do if your application was Denied
If your application for a CCW license was denied and you feel that this decision was incorrect you may appeal the decision through our appeals process at no additional charge. A copy of the appeals form was mailed with your denial letter. You may also obtain a copy of the form here: DJ-LE-291.
Fill out the appeals form and submit it to the Firearms Unit along with documentation supporting your appeal. All appeals require a finger print card to perform an identification review. Fingerprints need to be submitted on a fingerprint card and prepared by your local law enforcement agency.
The Firearms Unit will respond to you in writing within 30 days of receiving your appeal.
Common Reasons for Denials
The following are the most common reasons that CCW applications are denied. They may or may not apply to your specific case.
- Felony Convictions.
- Misdemeanor Convictions for Crimes of Domestic Violence.
- These can include Misdemeanor Disorderly Conduct and Battery Convictions.
- Drug Convictions or Arrests within the past year.
- Active Warrants.
- Court Orders prohibiting firearm possession.
- Juvenile Adjudications.
Application Printing Help
Some printers do not automatically scale the document and will cut off the bottom of the pages. In this case you may need to change the Page Scaling setting in your Print window to “Shrink to Printable Area.” There are signatures required on pages 2, 3, and 4. If you do not have signature blocks on those pages, you are not printing the entire document.